3 Home Maintenance Tips For Fort Myers Summers
During the summer, your biggest worry should be about cooking enough food for your summer party, and not how to repair a rotted deck or a busted appliance. The key to summer home maintenance in Fort Myers is prevention. By inspecting and fixing small problems, you can guard against larger, more expensive projects down the line. Here’s 3 home maintenance tips for summer that help you remain on top of your house’s maintenance before big problems occur.
1. Increase Your Home’s Energy Efficiency
Summer is the perfect time in Fort Myers to make your home more energy efficient so that you can keep the heat out and your energy bills low. Start by checking your doors and windows for leaks that let air through. Add weatherstripping to doors or replace broken weatherstripping if you feel air passing through. Check your windows’ caulking for any missing pieces or cracks and replace the cracked sections.
You can also lower your utility bill by purchasing an energy efficient window treatment like plantation shutters - and potentially qualify for a tax credit. Polywood® faux wood plantation shutters lower the transfer of air through your window’s glass. They’re 70% more energy efficient than traditional wooden shutters and 1600% more energy efficient than aluminum blinds which are found in many homes.
2. Spruce Up Your Porches And Patios
If you’re planning on barbecuing on your patio or deck during the summer, check that it’s prepared for guests. Begin by inspecting your deck or patio for safety. Look around to see if there are any stairs, supports, or boards that should be replaced because they’re broken and can’t bear weight. Give your deck and patio a fresh look and guard it against the bright summer sun and rain by sealing or staining it.
After you’ve fixed any broken boards and areas and sealed your patio, you’re ready for the fun part - making it shine. Add interest to the windows and doors next to your porch and patio by using window treatments like sidelight shutters or plantation shutters for your french door or sliding doors. Then bring in new patio furniture or maybe even a fire pit. Finally, landscape the edges of your porch or patio to make it more colorful.
3. Maintain Large Appliances
Appliances that break down can disrupt your fun summer plans. Here’s a few things to do to maintain your major appliances and keep them humming along:
● Refrigerator. Clogged refrigerator coils can raise your electric bill by making your fridge work harder. It’s easy to clean and vacuum them out. Start by unplugging your refrigerator and then use the crevice tool on your vacuum (or a coil cleaning brush attachment) to remove all the lint and dirt from the coils.
● Dishwasher. Inspect your dishwasher for any lines that are leaking or backed up water. Then deodorize and deep clean it by adding a cup of vinegar to a cycle. The last step is to clean out the filter (which is underneath the spray arms in most models) with soap and water.
● Washer and dryer. Check your washing machine hoses for any leaks, cracks, or bulges. Replace the hoses if needed. You should clear out your dryer hose and exterior vent annually or pay a professional to do the job.
Have A Fun Summer
By keeping on top of your home and appliances, you’ll be able to have a relaxing summer. If you’re interested in giving your house a fresh look this season with window treatments for your patios, kitchens, or bedrooms, check out our idea gallery and then give us a ring for a free in-home consultation at 239-208-6577. We’ll walk you through all your window treatment options in Fort Myers and do all the measuring and installation so you can sit back and enjoy your summer.